All long car journeys have boring parts. It’s simply a part of being on a road trip. When this happens, you just need some awesome road trip conversation starters to provide things to talk about in the car.
This article will inspire car conversations that will keep you chatting for hours…
In fact, there are a whopping 146 car topics to talk about!
These car ride questions are divided up into categories to make them easier for you to browse through. You’ll find hilarious would you rather variants that are perfect for a road trip with friends. There’s plenty of road trip topics to choose from.
Road Trip Conversation Starters
This list of road trip conversation starters is full of interesting questions and subjects. These topics to talk about in the car are broad and range from embarrassing clothing to winning the lottery.
If it’s just you and your loved one in the car, we have an entire article on Road Trip Questions for Couples!
Road Trip Conversation Starters
- What would you buy first if you won the lottery?
- What’s your most hilarious drunken memory?
- Where is the most beautiful place you’ve ever visited?
- If you could travel back in time, what period would you most like to visit?
- If you could learn another language which would you choose and why?
- Talk about 3 random and interesting people you’ve met during your travels?
- How would you say you have changed as a person in the last few years?
- Name your top 5 favorite sports people?
- What is your favorite travel story or memory?
- What is the highest mountain you’ve ever climbed?
- What three subjects would you most enjoy studying?
- What is your proudest accomplishment?
- Do you have any cool scars? What are they from?
- Where’s the strangest place you’ve spent the night?
- What common opinion do you not agree with but still have respect for?
- What are you most afraid of?
- Who do you usually vote for? Why?
- What’s the craziest fact you know?
- What’s the most embarrassing item of clothing you’ve worn?
- How do you get rid of stress?
- What is something that is generally popular, but you really don’t like?
- What would you say is your most annoying habit?
- If you could know one thing about your future, what would it be?
- What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
- What would be the perfect doughnut topping?
- What song must you absolutely get up and dance to?
- What is your most treasured possession?
- Who is your celebrity crush?
- Have you ever worked a terrible job?
- Is there a person that you really admire, who is it?
You Might Also Like
Would You Rather Questions For Road Trips
Ah. The classic would you rather question. This thought-provoking format simply had to feature in this list of road trip conversation starters.
One thing they all have in common, though:
They’re designed to get you chatting!
Present your co-traveler(s) with these interesting, funny, and awkward situations.
But don’t stop there.
You’ll get into some great conversations by following up with a “why” after each question. You might be shocked at the way people think through their answers.
31. Would you rather be totally covered in fur or scales?
32. Would you rather always be 10 minutes late or always be half an hour early?
33. Would you rather be dating a 10/10 who is a horrible person or a 6/10 with a great personality
34. Would you rather invent a new drug that cures a fatal disease or be the first person to visit a new planet?
35. Would you rather be a regular person in the present day or a king/queen 1000 years ago?
36. Would you rather only ever be able to use a fork again or only ever be able to use a spoon? (No other cutlery!)
37. Would you rather have to fart or burp loudly every time you have a serious conversation?
38. Would you rather be a famous athlete or a famous actor?
39. Would you rather be able to teleport anywhere you want or be able to fly?
40. Would you rather be really good-looking but stupid or intelligent and ugly?
41. Would you rather never be able to eat vegetables again or only eat vegetables?
42. Would you rather only ever eat spicy food or only tasteless food?
43. Would you rather only be able to wear pants or only be able to wear shorts?
44. Would you rather be able to read people’s thoughts for one day or be able to fly for one day?
45. Would you rather give up washing yourself for a month or give up your phone for a month?
You Might Also Like
46. Would you rather never be able to drink coke again or only be able to drink coke and no other drinks?
47. Assuming there would never be snow on the ground or floods, would you rather it never stops snowing or never stops raining?
48. Would you rather eat pasta with every meal or eat bread with every meal? You can never eat the other one.
49. Would you rather have highly sensitive taste buds or highly sensitive hearing?
50. Would you rather never use social media again or never be able to watch another movie?
51. Would you rather have everything on your phone (browsing history, photos, etc.) made public, or never be able to use a phone again?
52. Would you rather have a magazine-cover body for your entire life but be below average intelligence or have a fat body for your entire life and be above average intelligence?
53. Would you rather get really drunk from one alcoholic drink or never get drunk regardless of how much alcohol you drink?
54. Would you rather never be jealous or never get angry?
55. Would you rather be permanently transported 300 years into the future or 300 years into the past?
56. Would you rather be famous and loved when you are alive and instantly forgotten when you die or unknown when you are alive but famous and loved forever after you die?
57. Would you rather the public hate you, but your family is proud of you, or your family hate you, and the public be very proud of you?
58. Would you rather have two belly buttons or one nipple?
59. Assuming both are safe, would you rather go to space or the deepest part of the ocean?
How are you doing so far? I’ll be impressed if you can get to the end of the list!
Travel Conversation Starters
This section of road trip topics is all about travel.
Travel is one of my favorite subjects to discuss – you can talk for hours about faraway places you’d love to visit, memorable vacations gone-by, or your current travel plans.
These questions should help get those conversations started.
60. What place would you most like to visit in the world?
61. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
62. What is your favorite city for a weekend break?
63. Where is the best beach you have ever seen?
64. What was your favorite ever holiday and why?
65. What was your worst ever holiday and why?
66. Name three things you love about traveling?
67. Name three things you hate about traveling?
68. What is the biggest adventure you’ve ever been on?
69. What do you miss most about home when you go away on a long trip?
70. What part of going on vacation do you enjoy the most?
71. What was the best tour you’ve ever paid for?
72. What was the most relaxing vacation you’ve ever had?
73. Summer beach vacation or a winter mountain trip?
74. What is the longest road trip you have ever taken?
75. Have you ever been skinny dipping? If so, where?
76. Where is the best place you have been camping?
77. What is your favorite thing about camping?
78. What is the scariest thing that has happened to you whilst traveling?
79. What is the strangest thing you have done whilst traveling?
80. What was your favorite vacation/traveling experience EVER?
Food Conversation Starters
Everyone likes food. Everyone likes to talk about food. Ask each other these road trip questions and YOU WILL find yourselves talking about food.
Just make sure you’ve got some snacks in the car before you start…
81. How do you drink your coffee? What is your favorite?
82. What is the worst thing you ever cooked?
83. What is the best thing you ever cooked?
84. What is your absolute favorite dessert?
85. How do you like your eggs in the morning?
86. What is the weirdest food you have ever tried?
87. What would be your final meal?
88. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
89. What was the first thing you learned to cook?
Family and Relationships Conversation Starters
Families and love lives provide the opportunity for good gossip. Ignite the conversation with this set of car topics to talk about that are all about relationships.
If you are traveling with your family then you could consider checking out our article full of Family Road Trip Questions!
90. How strict were your parents when you were growing up? Rate from 1 – 10.
91. What do you like most about your family?
92. What do you like least about your family?
93. What instantly reminds you of being a kid?
94. Describe the worst date you’ve ever been on?
95. What would be an absolute relations deal-breaker for you?
96. Do you still speak to any of your ex-partners?
97. What would you say is cheating in a relationship?
98. Who was your first kiss?
Future Plans Conversation Starters
Future plans make a great topic of conversation.
These car ride conversations will get you thinking about what you might want to do in the future and where you want to go in life.
99. What would your dream home look like and where would it be?
100. If you could learn another language, which one?
101. What new thing/skill/hobby would you most like to learn in the future?
102. Do you want kids one day? Why?
103. If your job offered you a move abroad, would you take it? Where would you go?
104. Do you have any exciting business ideas?
105. What would be your utmost perfect job?
106. Do you ever want pets? If so, what?
107. Is there any job that you would NEVER do, even for millions of dollars?
108. What will be your next new years’ resolution? Have you ever kept one?
109. Where do you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
110. What is something that you have done in the past, but will NEVER do again?
Name Your Top 3
Ok, let’s try something a little different now. Instead of just asking each other road trip questions, it’s time to name your 3 favorite… well, everything!
Take it in turns to go through these categories.
111. Who are your top 3 music artists/bands?
112. What are your top 3 movies?
113. What are your top 3 songs?
114. Name your 3 favorite candy bars?
115. Who are your 3 favorite sports stars ever?
116. What are your top 3 books?
117. What are your 3 favorite TV shows?
118. Name your top 3 clothing brands?
119. Who are your top 3 celebrity crushes?
120. Name your 3 favorite types of cheese?
121. Who are your top 3 superheroes and why?
122. What are your 3 favorite types of food?
123. Tell me your top 3 Christmas songs?
124. What are you top 3 favorite drinks? Alcoholic or otherwise.
Can you remember the first CD you bought?? This group of road trip questions will take you down memory lane as you recall your ‘first times’.
125. What was the first CD you bought?
126. What was the first DVD you bought?
127. What was the first gig you went to?
128. Who was your first best friend?
129. What was the first alcoholic beverage you tried?
130. What was the name of your first pet?
131. What model was your first phone?
132. Where was your first vacation without your parents/family?
Random Conversation Starters
Finally, some random questions to finish off.
If you’re still reading, kudos.
Enjoy this final weird and wonderful set of random road trip conversation starters.
133. If you could take up any hobby, what would it be?
134. Have you ever cried at a movie?
135. Do you prefer hot or cold weather?
136. What is the best photo you’ve ever taken?
137. What’s the worst injury you’ve had? How did you get it?
138. Which emoji do you use the most?
139. What is the most expensive thing you’ve ever bought?
140. Do you believe in any conspiracy theories? Why?
141. What’s the weirdest smell you have ever smelled?
142. What is the most hilarious conversation you have overheard?
143. What is the best practical joke you have ever pulled?
144. What’s the scariest movie you’ve seen?
145. What is something that you think is okay to do occasionally but definitely not okay to do every day?
146. If you had a theme tune, what would it be?
Which questions were your favorite?
Do you have any other road trip conversation starters that you’d recommend?
Either way, leave a comment below and let us know!