Salads have a reputation for being a light, sometimes unsatisfying side dish. Enter our Quinoa Chickpea Salad – a dish that challenges this notion by being both hearty and healthy. A symphony of textures and flavors, this salad combines the nutty goodness of quinoa, the hearty bite of chickpeas, and the refreshing crunch of fresh veggies.
Drizzled with a tangy red wine vinaigrette and infused with aromatic herbs, this salad is both a feast for the eyes and the palate. Whether you’re preparing food for a road trip or just looking for a nutrient-packed lunch option, our Quinoa Chickpea Salad stands out as a versatile choice.
Quinoa Chickpea Salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion
- 1 cucumber
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 15 oz chickpeas
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tpsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by rinsing the quinoa under cold water. In a pot, combine the quinoa and water. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes. After cooking, remove it from the heat, cover, and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. Use a fork to fluff the quinoa, then let it cool down.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the finely chopped onion, diced cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes, chopped red bell pepper, and rinsed chickpeas.
- Incorporate the cooled quinoa into the large bowl, followed by the freshly chopped parsley and mint.
- Drizzle the prepared dressing over the salad and mix well, ensuring all ingredients are evenly coated.
- For added color and flavor, garnish the salad with more parsley and mint if desired. You can serve the salad immediately or store it in an airtight container or a wide-mouth jar for later consumption.
- Customize your salad with your favorite herbs and spices for a unique flavor twist.
- This salad is perfect for picnics, road-trips and potlucks, as it holds up well and can be served cold or at room temperature.
- Feel free to double the recipe for larger gatherings or to have leftovers for the week.
- You can easily make this salad gluten-free by ensuring all your ingredients, including the vinegar, are certified gluten-free.
- Store the salad in an airtight container or a wide-mouth jar in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. It will keep in a cooler packed with ice for 2 days.
- This salad is great for meal prep and can be made in advance for quick and healthy lunches.
- Italian Quinoa Chickpea Salad: Substitute the herbs for fresh basil and add mini bocconcini balls and pesto in place of the salad dressing.
- Add diced avocado for creaminess and extra flavor.
- For a protein boost, toss in grilled chicken or tofu cubes.
- Pair this with some of our delicious road trip snacks (recipes for delicious homemade treats!).
- To save time, you can use pre-cooked quinoa from the store.
- Adjust the dressing’s olive oil and vinegar amounts to suit your taste preferences for tanginess and richness. Use flavored olive oils to change the profile of the salad – garlic or lemon olive oils will give this a heavy Mediterranean feel, while basil olive oil will skew it in an Italian direction. Use chili olive oil for a more Mexican feel.
- I’ve created recipes for a number of other road trip lunch options such as this delicious Mexican taco salad in a jar and this Greek pasta salad.