This delicious Club Sandwich is a timeless favorite and a highlight from our road trip sandwiches collection. Infused with the savory goodness of bacon, turkey, and ham, this sandwich is layered between perfectly toasted slices of white bread and elevated with the freshness of lettuce and tomatoes. A spread of creamy mayo ties all these flavors together, ensuring every bite is a delightful medley of tastes.
Not only is this sandwich rich in flavor, but it’s also an essential pick from our road trip food ideas article, proving its merit as a travel-friendly delight. Whether you’re hitting the highways or just craving a taste of adventure at home, this Club Sandwich stands out. Pair it with chips and pickles for a complete experience reminiscent of classic American diners. Here’s to flavors that take you places!
- 12 slices white bread toasted
- 16 strips of bacon
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes
- 16 turkey breast slices
- 16 slices of ham
- Begin by toasting the white bread slices either in a toaster or under a broiler. They should be golden brown on both sides.
- Lay the bacon strips in a cold skillet. Set the heat to medium-low and cook the bacon until crispy. This should take about 8-10 minutes. Ensure you turn the strips occasionally for even cooking. Once done, transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to drain off any excess grease.
- On one side of each toasted bread slice, evenly spread a layer of mayonnaise.
- Start assembling your sandwich with one slice of bread, mayo side up. Place lettuce leaves on it, followed by 2 tomato slices, 2 strips of crispy bacon, 2 slices of turkey, and finally, 2 slices of ham.
- Place another slice of toasted bread over the layers, mayo side facing down. Repeat the layering process as in step 4.
- Top the assembled ingredients with the third slice of toasted bread, ensuring the mayo side is facing down.
- Use toothpicks to hold the sandwich layers in place. Continue this assembly for the remaining sandwiches. Once done, cut each sandwich diagonally in half, creating two portions per sandwich. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for later consumption.
- Club sandwiches will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days, or in a cooler packed with ice packs for 1 day.
- For road trips, it’s best to store your club sandwiches in an insulated bag with ice packs to keep them fresh. Consume them within a day for the best taste and safety.
- Vegetarian Option: Skip the bacon, turkey, and ham, and use avocado slices, roasted veggies, and a smear of hummus for a tasty vegetarian club.
- Spicy Kick: Add a dash of hot sauce or some sliced jalapeños for a spicy twist to your club sandwich.
- Clubs Salad: Skip the bread and dice plenty of lettuce. Arrange the ingredients in a wide-mouth jar with your favorite dressing at the bottom, and the lettuce up top to prevent it from going soggy.
- If possible, pack the sandwich fillings separately and assemble them on the go to prevent soggy bread. If doing so, keep the ingredients well-organized and easy to access so you can quickly put them together at rest stops.
- Consider packing mayo in small, sealed containers to add just before eating.