These mini hummus pita pockets are stuffed with hummus and crunchy veggies. Sweet enough for kids and great to take on the road!
Mini pita pockets with hummus are a delightful and versatile sandwich that can elevate any meal away from home, or add a touch of flavor to your everyday snacking routine. These bite-sized treats offer a perfect balance of fluffy pita bread and creamy hummus, creating a satisfying and tasty combination.
Due to their combination of creamy hummus and sweet, crunchy vegetable filling, these mini sandwiches are a favorite with adults and kids alike! We love them for their easy, portable packaging and burst of flavor.
In this blog post, we will guide you through the easy steps of preparing this delicious treat, along with some storage tips, variations, and top tips to make them even more enjoyable.
Hummus Pita Pockets With Crunchy Veggies
- 1 Knife (to slice the pita pockets)
- 1 Oven (Optional for toasting pitas)
- 1 Airtight container (for storage)
- 8 mini pitas
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup cucumbers
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
- OPTIONAL: preheat the oven to 400F and lightly toast the pitas for 2 minutes, until they are warm to the touch. Slice open the mini pita bread rounds to create pockets.
- Spread hummus evenly inside each pocket.
- Add fresh vegetables to each pocket.
- Garnish mini pita pockets with sprouts or herbs, if desired. Serve immediately, or pack in an airtight container to take on the road.
- Customize them with your favorite fillings, experiment with different flavors, and enjoy the versatility and convenience of these mini pita pockets.
- Toast the pita bread lightly before filling the pitas to enhance its texture and flavor.
- Kids love these mini hummus sandwiches with some Havarti cheese slices!
If you have any leftover mini pita pockets with hummus, it’s important to store them properly to maintain their freshness. Place the prepared pita pockets in an airtight container and refrigerate them. They can typically be stored for up to 2-3 days.
If taken on a road trip, these pita sandwiches will keep in a cooler packed with ice for 2 days. However, it’s worth noting that the pita bread may lose some of its crispness over time.
When ready to serve, allow them to come to room temperature (or slightly warm them in a toaster or oven, if that’s within reach) to restore their texture.
- Mediterranean Twist: Add some Kalamata olives, feta cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil to give your mini pita pockets a Mediterranean flair.
- Cheesy pita pockets: Kids love these mini hummus sandwiches with some Havarti cheese slices!
- Spicy Kick: Spice things up by incorporating a dash of hot sauce, jalapenos, or chilli flakes into the hummus for those who enjoy a little heat.
- Protein Powerhouse: Boost the protein content by adding grilled chicken strips, roasted chickpeas, or sliced hard-boiled eggs to your mini pita pockets.
- Veggie Delight: Load your pita pockets with an assortment of fresh vegetables like grated carrots, red onion slices, or roasted zucchini for a nutritious and colorful twist.
- Toast the pita bread lightly before filling them to enhance its texture and flavor.
- Experiment with different flavors of hummus, such as roasted red pepper, garlic, or spicy chipotle, to add variety.
- For a more substantial meal, serve the mini pita pockets alongside a fresh salad or soup.
- Customize your toppings based on personal preferences and dietary restrictions.
- Double the recipe for larger gatherings or make a variety of flavors to cater to different tastes.
Can I make my own hummus?
Absolutely! Homemade hummus is easy to prepare and allows you to customize the flavors. There are many recipes available online to guide you through the process, but we happen to think our hummus recipe is the best!
Can I freeze the mini pita pockets?
It is not recommended to freeze the assembled mini pita pockets, as freezing can affect the texture and quality of the pita bread and the hummus.
Are mini pita pockets suitable for a gluten-free diet?
Traditional pita bread contains gluten. However, you can find gluten-free pita bread options or substitute it with gluten-free wraps or tortillas to make these vegan pita pockets suitable for a gluten-free diet.