This spicy chickpea sandwich recipe pairs canned chickpeas with fresh veggies to make meal prep for road trips a dream! Hitting the road with a few delicious road trip sandwiches is guaranteed to keep those hunger pangs at bay!
Let’s talk about the star of the show—the spicy chickpea sandwich salad recipe itself. It’s a tantalizing blend of flavors, featuring zesty lemon, aromatic herbs, and just the right amount of kick from our secret spice blend. But that’s not all! We’ve added crisp celery, crunchy pickles, and a hint of red onion to create a symphony of textures that will make each bite a delightful adventure.
If you’re looking for a vegan alternative to a tuna sandwich, this spicy chickpea sandwich could be perfect for you!
This recipe is healthy, vibrant, and completely vegan, making it the perfect choice for our plant-loving friends. And for those with gluten sensitivities, fear not! Swap the bread for a gluten-free alternative, and voila, you’ve got yourself a delicious, gluten-free vegan sandwich masterpiece.
We’ve taken the classic tuna salad sandwich and given it a compassionate twist by replacing the fish with hearty chickpeas. These little gems are packed with protein and lend a wonderfully creamy texture to the dish. Seasoned with a medley of spices that’ll transport your taste buds to exotic lands, this sandwich is anything but ordinary.
Spicy Chickpea Sandwich
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 Fork
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1.5 cups chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 celery stalks (thinly sliced)
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 dill pickles (diced)
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper (diced)
- 3 tablespoons of vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne powder (add more to taste)
- 3/4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 leaves of lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- Using a fork or a potato masher, crush the chickpeas in a large bowl until they’re broken down. If you have a food processor, you can also use it for this step to achieve a smoother texture.
- To the crushed chickpeas, add the diced celery, green onions, pickles, bell peppers, vegan mayonnaise, mustard, and cayenne pepper. Stir these in until they're evenly distributed throughout the chickpeas.
- Squeeze in the juice from 1/4 of a lemon, then sprinkle in salt and pepper to taste. Stir once more, then taste the mixture and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- If you prefer toasted bread, now’s the time to toast your slices. Then, on one piece of bread, lay down a leaf of lettuce. Spread about 1/4 cup of your chickpea salad over the lettuce, then top with another piece of bread. Repeat this step for the second sandwich.
- If you’re not eating the sandwich right away, wrap it securely in parchment paper or tin foil and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator or a cooler packed with ice.
- When you’re ready to eat, serve the sandwich with a side of chips or pickle spears for a complete meal.
- Start by draining and rinsing the chickpeas before mashing them.
- Omit the lettuce if your sandwich will be sitting in a cooler for a while or if you are making it ahead.
- This spicy chickpea sandwich will keep in an airtight container or wrap in the fridge for 4-5 days. When storing spiced chickpea vegan tuna salad sandwiches on the road, keep them in a cooler with ice or cooling packs.
- Variations: use gluten-free bread for gluten-free sandwiches. Omit the bread for a low-carb option. Add cucumber, avocado, or sundried tomatoes for variety. Add hot sauce or chili powder to make this spicier.
This vegan chickpea sandwich will keep in an airtight container or wrap in the fridge for 4-5 days.
When storing these chickpea sandwiches on the road, one of the best options is to keep them in a cooler with ice or cooling packs for up to 24 hours. This will help prevent the sandwich from spoiling or becoming too warm, which can impact the quality and taste.
Make sure you wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic or beeswax to prevent any spills or leaks, which can be messy and difficult to clean up.
- Pack in gluten-free bread for an allergen-friendly sandwich.
- Pack the spicy chickpea salad in a jar without any bread for a more low-carb version.
- Add sliced avocado for creaminess and healthy fats.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes for a rich and savory flavor.
- Add cucumber for a fresh crunch.
- Mix in some grilled or sautéed veggies like bell peppers or zucchini to add some color and more depth of flavor to the sandwich.
- Sub the vegan mayonnaise for hummus for more protein.
- You could also try adding other spices like cumin or chili powder to give the sandwich a different flair.
- Start by draining and rinsing the chickpeas before mashing them with a fork. This gives the cleanest flavor to these amazing vegan chickpea tuna salad sandwiches.
- Wrap the sandwich in paper or foil to keep it fresh and portable.
- Omit the lettuce if your sandwich will be sitting in a cooler for a while or if making it ahead.
What can you use instead of vegan mayo?
If you’re looking for alternatives to vegan mayo, there are a few options you might want to consider. Vegan yogurt is a popular option that can be substituted for mayo in many recipes. It has a similar consistency and tangy flavor that can work well in salads and sandwiches. Another alternative is hummus, which is a creamy dip made from chickpeas and tahini. It has a distinct nutty flavor that can complement sandwiches, wraps, and veggies. You could also try avocado or tahini if you’re looking for a creamier texture. Coconut yogurt or cashew cream are also good options.
Can you pulse the chickpeas in a blender as well?
Yes, you can pulse chickpeas in a blender as well. Pulsing in a blender creates a coarser consistency compared to a food processor. It is important to pulse a few times and scrape down the sides to ensure even blending.
Does this chickpea salad taste like tuna?
This vegan tuna salad alternative may have a similar texture to a traditional tuna salad but it definitely doesn’t taste like fish. While some people may argue that the taste is somewhat reminiscent of fish, most agree that it has a unique and very different flavor profile.
Can I make this sandwich recipe without celery?
Absolutely! Just sub it with cucumbers or even purple onion for added crunch.
What to serve with spicy chickpea sandwiches?
These vegan sandwiches go well with chips, veggies with hummus, or a simple green salad. Even just a handful of nuts or, if you’re vegetarian, a few cubes of cheese can make for a great pairing.
Do you have a regular tuna sandwich recipe?
Yes! You can find our road-trip-friendly tuna sandwich recipe here.